The process of connecting a ps4 game console to a TV is a standard procedure that users can sometimes have problems with. What is the reason and how to connect the set-top box to the TV? More on this later.
Connecting your ps4 to your TV
To connect your ps4 to a TV screen and start playing, you need to follow a few simple rules:
- Connect the HDMI cable to the TV screen into a suitable connector type.
- Put the second cable into the game console.
- Plug in the power cord, and connect another cord to the device.
- If you do not use Wi-Fi, then you need to connect the console to a network cable.
- Insert a wire to the DualShock and the other to the USB input of the ps4.
To start the device, you need to press the power button on the game console and hold the corresponding button on the joystick. This completes the process of connecting the equipment to the TV. Now, for the set-top box to work correctly on the TV, you need to make an internet connection.
Attention! The best way to connect to the internet is via a wire. Therefore, you need to stretch a wire from an Internet router with a LAN connector to the game console.
An internet connection is required to use the multi-function mode, use it to download video games from the PlayStation store. Of course, connecting with a cable is not practical, but safe. To connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi, you need to follow these simple instructions:
- Press the button to open the top navigation panel. To do this, take the joystick remote control and then press the "Up" button. Select the "Settings" section.
- Go to the "Network" tab, and then click "Internet Connection Settings". Several options will be displayed - "LAN" and "Wi-Fi". Click on the last one.
- By clicking on the Wi-Fi section, a list of available networks will be displayed, you need to select a home one and enter a password.
- When a request from a proxy service appears, click on the "Do not use" button.
- To test the correctness of the Internet connection, you should select the test of the network connection.
When it is completed, you need to register or click on the entrance and enter the data of an existing account, remember the entered password.
You can connect the device to a TV, laptop or computer. When connecting the console to a TV, you need to use a large plasma, since a tulip-shaped TV will not work for a good connection. Next, you need a regular HDMI cable and instructions. You can log in and start playing by following the instructions.
You can also connect your PS4 to a PC using an HDMI cable or a DVI-HDMI adapter if there is no cable port. Next, you need to follow the instructions on the monitor. In this case, the system can start transmitting only a picture, but no sound. In this case, you will need to connect the speakers to the computer.
Reference! The last option for using and connecting the PS4 is to a laptop. With a laptop, as with a computer, the problem may appear if there is no port for the cable. Then you need to resort to a special conductor with a USB port or install the Remote Play program, which will allow you to start the game with ps.
Possible connection problems and their elimination
When connecting the game console to an old or new TV or other device, the following problems may occur:
- The console does not work, giving no signs of life.
- Picture slows down or sound does not work.
- Poor image quality.
- The STB does not recognize the network or interrupts the connection while downloading games.
- The game console is connected, showing signs of life, but there is no image on the screen.
All of these problems can be solved. The first problem is associated with a defective power cable, a breakdown of a game console, a failure in the electrical system. If there is a defect, then it is better to hand over the console for repair or back to the store. The second is associated with improper operation of the Internet router, lack of Internet connection, breakdowns in the TV or power surges. The third problem is related to the device itself and the incorrectly selected screen resolution.
If the equipment does not recognize the network or interrupts the playstation operation, then there may be problems with the Internet and the device itself. In this case, you need to restart the device itself, the router and the TV. If the problem reappears, then you need to contact the wizard.
If the equipment is connected and lights up in blue, but no picture appears on the screen, but there is sound, then there is a problem with the TV screen itself. Try rebooting the system again and turning the TV on / off.
In general, organizing the connection of the PS2, PS3 or PS4 game console and working with it is easy, just follow the instructions for the console or follow the instructions and recommendations listed above.
Subscribe to our Social Networks
Want more adrenaline pumping on PS4? Want to use your PS4 to stream HDR videos? Learn how to connect your 4K HDR home entertainment system to your console for the best sound and picture quality.
What you need to get HDR support on PS4
PS4 Pro is compatible with HDR, a technology that delivers true-to-life picture quality with more detail and a wider color gamut. For full support, you must have:
- High-quality high-speed HDMI cable that supports data transfer at a speed of 18 Gbps; - 2K or 4K TV with HDR10 support; - HDR content, i.e. a game or video stream that supports the corresponding technology.
You also need to update your PS4 software to version 4.0 or higher. This will add HDR options to PS4 settings.
How to connect PS4 to TV and soundbar or AV receiver?
To display HDR content, your PS4 must be directly connected to your TV using a High Speed HDMI cable.
If you're using a soundbar or AV receiver, connect it to your PS4 Pro through any compatible port *, and then connect the soundbar or receiver to the HDMI 3 (ARC) port on your TV.
* Depends on the model.
Which TV input do I need to connect my PS4 Pro to?
It depends on the model and year of the Sony TV. Use this list to check if your TV is HDR capable and which HDMI inputs support 4K and HDR:
What settings should I choose on my TV and PS4 Pro?
For the best picture quality, the TV must be set to an enhanced picture format. Here's how to do it:
- Press the HOME button on the remote control and select Settings. - From the TV menu, select External Inputs. - Find the HDMI signal and select Enhanced format for it.
Not every HDMI port supports 4K HDR. To make sure your TV can display 4K HDR content, check this list:
On PS4, go to the Video Output Information screen. Select Settings, Sound and Screen, and then Video Output Settings. Here, select Automatic for HDR and Deep Color Output.
Which picture mode should I select on my TV?
The picture mode will automatically switch to HDR Gaming. Otherwise, select it manually.
What audio settings should I choose if my PS4 Pro connects to my TV via a soundbar or AV receiver?
It depends on the soundbar or receiver model. Most of our soundbars, such as the new ZF9 and XF9000 models, have a dedicated Game Studio mode. Dialogue sounds clearer, and sounds simulate the movement and distance of objects on the screen, which allows you to immerse yourself deeper into the world of the game.
What if my soundbar or receiver does not support HDR?
In this case, connect the PS4 Pro directly to the TV, and the soundbar or AV receiver to the HDMI 3 (ARC) port.
A person who cannot imagine rest without the opportunity to plunge into the world of computer games sometimes cannot properly connect the PS4 to the TV. It is both more convenient and interesting to play from the big screen. The set-top box connects to a TV device in several ways, which will be discussed in this article. At the end - useful tips: what to do in situations when “something went wrong”.
Which TV can I connect my PS4 to?
Of course, the game console is not suitable for any TV-set. The general pattern of TV selection is as follows:
- Technology type and screen refresh rate. The basic parameters determine whether there is a commensurability of technical functions with the capabilities of the set-top box. Otherwise, the user's expectations will not be met. Of course, if you really want to, you can connect your ps4 to a TV, which includes a cathode ray tube. But all the advantages of new technologies: the quality of acoustics and images are thus leveled. Therefore, it is better to choose an LED TV or "plasma" with a screen refresh rate of at least 100 Hz.
- Screen resolution. The modern 4K format is gradually replacing FHD game consoles. Since buying a TV is not an investment for one year, it is worth focusing on 4K.
- Viewing angle. There are models with uneven illumination. The defect becomes especially noticeable when viewed from the side. The picture is distorted and group games become difficult. Therefore, it is worth checking the change in dimming at different angles before purchasing a TV, especially with LCD technology.
- The Input parameter is Lag. This characteristic reflects the time it takes a television receiver to reflect the incoming signal and broadcast it on the screen. A very important parameter for games, because the response of the vehicle to the actions of the players should be very fast.
- Response time. The exponent determines the milliseconds in which the matrix builds the pixel transformation. The smaller the parameter, the faster the image transfer is. The optimal response time is no more than 5 milliseconds.
- PQI update index. Often this indicator is not paid attention to in the characteristics of the model. Meanwhile, it is also important. The larger the index, the better for games. Possible parameter range is from 1000 to 3000 - depends on the price.
- Screen dimensions. The large monitor attracts with the possibility of maximum immersion in virtual reality. But certain restrictions are imposed by the area of the room. A comfortable viewing distance must be taken into account.
- Interfaces. The main cable for connecting the set-top box is HDMI. Therefore, models that do not yet have such an interface are not the best option. Of course, there are special adapters, but the image quality is greatly reduced. The equipment of the HDMI 2.0 models is worthy of attention, because with its help the device is capable of transmitting data in 4K.
- Special modes. Manufacturers are adjusting to the desires of gamers. Modern TVs already include game modes that automatically turn off any unnecessary TV options.
The same parameters, coupled with different additional functions, the design can vary greatly in price from different manufacturers.
Can PS4 be connected to an old TV?
Basically, TVs without HDMI have an RCA interface, where the connection is made through 2 "tulips". High-quality adapters capable of jumping between formats are not produced. There are only handicraft homemade converters. However, in addition to the obvious decrease in the quality of the picture, there is a risk of burning out the video inputs of the set-top box. Since the stability of their power supplies is not strong, and sometimes they give out voltage surges over the HDMI bus. In this case, warranty repairs are not possible.
Ways to Connect PS4 to TV
Before setting up your ps4, you need to connect the set-top box via hdmi - input. This can be done as follows.
- First, find the corresponding connector on the back of the TV. Or from the side.
- Connect the HDMI cable to the "native" jack.
- The second HDMI plug goes to the corresponding connector on the Sony PlayStation.
- Plug the power cable into the set-top box and connect to the mains.
- Connect the power cord if there is no internet connection via Wi-Fi.
- Connect one end of the microUSB to the DualShock joystick and the other to the USB port on the game console.
The main operations have been completed. It remains only to start the set-top box by clicking on the power button. It is located on the front of the console. Alternatively, hold down the ps4 key on the joystick.
Another interface that works on older TVs is S-Video. It is also possible to connect a set-top box through this connector, especially since the decoded picture in this case will be of better quality than with the "tulip". Connecting via S-Video is an old way to turn on your ps4 on a TV without hdmi with a high signal frequency. However, such a cord will have to be purchased separately. it is not included in the package.
The YCbCr interface is responsible for the digital signal, YPbPr for the analog signal. Together, a component transmission is obtained. The transmitted signal of such a connection is highly accurate. Three differently colored wires make up the composite interface cable. Green transmits sync pulses to the TV device and is responsible for the brightness level, blue is responsible for the difference between brightness and blue, and red adjusts the difference between red and brightness. Since 3 inputs on the TV have similar shades, it is impossible to make a mistake in connecting the ends of the cable. An optional two-channel RC interface transmits the audio signal.
There is a general rule for all connection methods: after starting the TV device, you must select the desired signal source using the remote control .
Possible connection problems and their elimination
Things don't always go smoothly. To help the user - frequently occurring problems and ways to resolve them.
Sometimes there is an anomaly with the color filling of the screen. That is, the objects on the monitor become completely green. Other monochrome options are possible: black, blue, red. Here you need the video settings of the game in the control menu. Need to find parameter "anti-aliasing processing" and set it to "TAA" .
When connecting a new cable, a situation may arise when the device does not automatically detect it. In this case, you just need restart both devices ... Another way is to go through the TV remote control to the settings menu and manually select the desired output interface.
For many TV models, the connected console is not automatically recognized. At the same time, TV devices continue to broadcast channels. The solution is to manually select the signal source.
In order to use all the functionality of Sony Playstation 4 while playing online, you need to connect the console to the Internet. A LAN cable is preferable here over a wireless connection, because the speed with such a connection is higher and there are no problems with the smoothness of frame changes.
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Press "Up" on the joystick to open the navigation panel.
- Select the "Settings" section.
- Open "Network", then - click on the line about setting up an Internet connection.
- Set up one of the connection options: LAN or Wi-Fi.
- In the next field, you may need to enter a password.
- Click "Check Internet Connection". Will be tested if there is a network connection.
All that remains is to log into your PlayStation Network account or create a new one. It is best to reject the proposal to use proxy servers, as the network slows down.
One of the reasons for the malfunction is a broken cable, which can also be defective. There are only two options. Check the cord with another device, and if it's in it, throw it away. There is no point in repairing the wire, it is easier to buy a new one.
Sometimes after launching a game connected via HDMI, the sound disappears - despite the fact that everything is present in the menu. This problem arises when a gamer played for a long time on one TV device, and then bought a new one. Especially if the purchased equipment was produced by another manufacturer.
You can turn on the sound in the following way. It is necessary to turn off and then turn on the set-top box, keeping your finger on the Power button. After some time, the set-top box will play a second sound signal. A request for the resolution of audio output via HDMI will appear, requiring you to click "OK". You just need to give consent.
We've gone over the main ways to explain how to turn on PS4 on your TV. All that is needed is a suitable TV model of any company (for example, LG or Samsung), preferably with an HDMI connector and the possibility of LAN - connection to the Internet. Composite and S-Video are seen as additional chances to securely connect the PS4 to your old TV. Gaming equipment malfunctions are mainly attributed to faulty settings and cable faults, as well as cable changes.